Sunday, June 26, 2011

Berry Bonanza

Being summertime, berries are in season [AKA: super FRESH & CHEAP!]

On my last trip to Publix, I loaded up on some raspberries and blueberries because they were 2 for $3.00.

Then, I proceeded to come up with different ways to eat the berries, so I could eat them while they were fresh.

Here is what I came up with:





"Berry" Good Summer Salad:

*This "recipe" was inspired by a salad that I had a graduation party this Spring. It was simple & delicious so I tried to re-create it. I just added bits of pieces of things that I LOVE, but anything could could be omitted or substituted to your liking.

Ingredients

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 bag of "Spring Mix" salad
handful of fresh blueberries
handful of fresh raspberries
1 avocado, chopped into cubes
reduced fat feta cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
sliced almonds (to top)

Putting It ALL Together

Rub the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and pepper. Grill for about 5 minutes each side. Allow the chicken to cool off and then cut into strips.

Put together all the ingredients. Toss. Top with sliced almonds.



Raspberry/Greek Yogurt Parfait: (perfect for breakfast or afternoon snack!)
*Everyone loves greek yogurt for it's health benefits & high protein but the plain stuff can be quite bitter and the fruit flavors can be loaded with sugar. This is an alternative to the "fruit on the bottom" variety of greek yogurt. The little bit of honey adds enough sweet to cut out the bitterness. YUM!



Ingredients

1 cup of non fat plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup fresh raspberries (or your desired berry)
1 tbsp honey

Putting it ALL Together

Start with a clear glass.

Add a 1/2 cup of yogurt. Add 1/2 of the almonds, 1/2 of the raspberries & 1/2 of the honey. REPEAT and layer.


Verdict: BOTH of these simple recipes were delicious. I plan to make them again and again [or as long as I can get a good deal on the berries!]





No comments:

Post a Comment